Wednesday, July 30, 2008

This is my first!

This time, for some reason, seems to be a fine time to start this blog. Why, I haven't a clue. I think because I am motivated by proudness of me-something that happens rarely. This isn't to say that I am not capable of giving myself a pat on the back now and then, but that I forget that it is possible.


So, I have been a diabetic for...25 years now. Type I, thank you. I am so fortunate that I am complication free, I have been blessed. I have had the insulin pump for 4 years now, it is amazing. Although it is no smarter than the person programming it, it makes me a much better diabetic. Before this, it was sooo difficult to walk all the way over to my purse, check my blood glucose level, grab insulin out of the fridge, draw it up, and stick it in me (no, it wasn't really that hard, I just had many many more things I would rather do with that time). But, because of the 4 month old little life inside of me at the time, I got the pump after a rough 2 day stay in the hospital. Life is so easy now! I do still check my blood 4-6 times a day, but I only have to change the pump every 3 days (sometimes I drag this out, but I'm told often it's not good for me. I'm working on this). Anyway....



I got a new accessory to go with my pump a week ago. It is a sensor that lays under the skin and reads the trends of which way my blood sugar is heading, high or low. Initially, I thought this device was going to be much cooler and helpful than it is, but I am coming to terms with its actual purpose. I thought I would be able to look down and see what my sugar was. Not so much, this has a 15-25 minute lag on it. So, I got this last Wednesday and my wonderful husband went with me. I tend to hear half of what doctors say, he is good for the other half (he hears it all, so we are like one and a half actual people). I can honestly say, I have not seen a needle that big in a long time! It is approximately this long --------------- that's long when you are harpooning a love handle. I felt like I was literally going to pass out. I had to sit down until I was done being bloody (they say this happens when you are nervous, whatever), hot, and anxious. Anyway, from that time on, I had about a 10 hour period where this thing worked well. The other 48 hours were spent being frustrated with it for one thing or another. So, at midnight on Saturday I ripped it out. I was done being fed up with it and needed a break. It is by no means life sustaining like the pump, so this was an okay thing to do. So, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday passed with me coming up with excuses as to why I couldn't do it at that particular time- Andy wasn't home, it was getting too late in the evening (however, valid), I hadn't called the company yet...lots of reasons to stay away from the harpoon.



Well, 30 minutes ago I decided to go for it on my own. And, I did it!!! All by myself, very little bleeding, and it is actually working! I am so excited about this, however small it is. So, I figured a very positive, uplifting feeling was a great way to start my blog. I think my friend is right, it will get easier as I get going.

2 comments:

my life: said...

FIRST of all....you are madness!!! How did I miss your first post??? I use the term "miss" loosely!!! You didn't tell me...ding-dong! you need to up-date this post though....tell us how you're feeling about this sensor now! :^)

Andy said...

That would be tough since she took it out and has not put it back in yet... :) Love you wifey!