Thursday, January 15, 2009

My heart is feeling weird

I don't know how else to describe whatever it is going on inside of me.

I am feeling peaceful, which to me kind of looks like indifference, but I assure you is not. I have been reading a book lately that is leading me to some thoughts that I probably would not have ever gathered on my own. I feel like these thoughts are steeped in Truth, so that is comforting.

Here is a paraphrased excerpt of what I read: We, as humans, tend to judge things in this world, occurrences, things, people as either good or not good. Our judgment is weighed generally on how it affects us and how it makes us feel. However, something that was once very good, may one day turn out to be considered bad. And, something that we considered bad/negative/awful may turn one day to be 'good' after all. So, as the argument is made, we are very, very subjective in our judgements. This is just one reason we are so blessed to NOT be The One (Christ/God) who doles out judgments.

What if everything that occurred was ultimately for good, for our good, put forth by a Father who loved us more than anything?

This is where I am tonight, thinking about this concept and the 'plans' I have for my family. I will have the hardest time letting T go if that is what it comes down to--obviously. However, what if her leaving is good for her, us, and anyone else involved in this mess?

Also, this book mentions that we look to the past to see where God was during our time of pain/sorrow/misery; great events/ joyous occasions/times of celebration. We also look to see what He is currently doing in our lives now. But rarely do we look to see where He is in our future. I want that. That is my heart's desire tonight. I want to follow Him, to be led by Him, wherever it is He leads, knowing it is for His purposes and His kingdom (warning to close friends: I may need to be reminded of this when the going gets tough!).

But, ultimately, that is what I want. Everything, every last thing, on this earth is temporary; I just want to keep that in mind when I am following Him.

3 comments:

my life: said...

I get it girly...you know I do. That was one of my favorite chapters..along with..all the other ones at the end of the book!
:0)
I bought my own copy yesterday. I am ready to mark it all up and hopefully be able to process it enough to blog about.
Well done.

Mrs. S said...

I have to agree with your thoughts. I feel like letting go of the plans I have is the hardest thing to do. But as life goes on, it is way easier than holding onto my plans and telling God to work around them.

Would you mind telling me what the name of that book is? I'm due for another good read and that looks like something that would interest me.

Jennifer Owens said...

I'm curious as to what book you're reading - I enjoyed the excerpts that you shared.

I've never been one to understand God's timing, ways and His plan - and then something happens in life and something clicked and was made beautiful and I can look back and see that something very awful led me to this perfect and beautiful place. Only God could do it - I guess I wish I could rest more in the midst of the things I don't currently understand to know that He is faithful to do the same again and again.