Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pride

This is something I have never described myself as being. I am fairly low maintenance when it comes to appearance, I don't even wear mascara unless I'm being fancy. I have a friend who could not believe I don't curl my eye lashes. Anyway, although there are many adjectives to describe me, I would not use prideful to be one of them.

Until today. I was sitting in church and we were preparing to take communion. In our church, you don't have to be Baptist or Methodist or what have you. You do have to believe in Christ, believe you are unworthy of Him, and to have a clean heart before partaking in the reminders of His sacrifice. As the choir was singing some of my favorite praise songs, our worship leader gave us a list of how pride might look in our lives. Here they are.

Insecurity
Comparisons and Competition
Needing to be Right
Argumentative
Anger
Being Heard rather than Hearing
Irritability and Impatience
Not easily Corrected
Needing Others to Take your Advice
Needing to Proclaim Position or Degree
Lacking a Submissive Attitude
Stubborn
Receiving Correction but not Changing


Wow, too many of those are me. I shared with a friend recently my need to compare myself, as though this life is a competition. I couldn't even describe to her the reasons why I do it. That made me feel incredibly foolish. I get irritable and impatient more times than I can count in a day (so thankful I have a forgiving hubby). I very often need to be right, even when there is a slight chance I am wrong. I am as insecure as they come.

It seems as though the knowledge of this is not enough, I need to change these areas that plague me, that make me less than who He created me to be. I want to glorify Him in this endeavor.

2 comments:

my life: said...

Ah my friend....you are refreshing to me.

Looking forward to our next....evening out. :0)

Tamara said...

Hi Jamie, just viewed your site due to you following Abigails. Thank you for being a faithful follower of hers! I love it when someone signs her guest book or comments. So again thank you!

Your post was great, I too never imagined that I was prideful until I got married and started to realize that dying to myself was a really hard thing to do as my pride kept bellowing up! Wowha and then we had kids and once again pride would bear it's ugly face especially when I looked in the mirror. ohhh I so need a savior! It's a good daily reminder!

Thanks for this post, a good reminder to us all! Looks like your new to the blogging world?? Welcome!