Monday, August 18, 2008

Past friends

So, my mom decided to give me large piles of 'stuff' from my childhood. I think she has been waiting for some time to do this, she unloaded it on me a week ago. The sacks contained ribbons from races barely finished in elementary school, certificates of how much I love to read, and various other mementos from elementary and middle schools. Well, I LOVE to reminisce. I had a wonderful time sorting the papers and memories closely linked to them. Not to be confused though, I love to throw useless things away too. All in all, out of 3 piles, I kept 1 bag. Not too bad.

Anyway, I came across my diabetic camp 'year book'. Not quite an accurate term as camp lasted, max, two weeks, but still. I was able to remember many names of people I knew for 1-2 weeks and have not seen in 12+ years. I love memories. There was one girl I made friends with my first year, Courtney. Now, diabetic camp sounds dorky, and for all intents and purposes, it probably was. But, how great for an awkward, disease stricken (maybe a bit dramatic) 12 year old to realize there were other people like her. My fingers looked like her fingers (poked way too often), she sometimes lied about her blood sugars to her mom (who hasn't), and she didn't get to eat candy like her friends. So, this was an almost instant friendship.

So, these memories consumed my mind for a bit that night, and I wondered how Courtney was. So, I do what any curious person does: I Googled her! And, I found her! Very stalkerish, I know. So, I found in a very round about way, her e-mail address for work and quickly e-mailed her. Andy thinks I'm a loser/stalker. But, she e-mailed me back, is an elementary teacher, and has a little boy. How cool is that? I plan on e-mailing her again soon, I look forward to it.

1 comment:

my life: said...

speaking of friends....anyway, I have a blog you might want to read...http://journeytoapromise.blogspot.com/

they are in the same place as you in the foster/adopt process....I thought you might enjoy!!!!
xoxo