Friday, August 15, 2008

Two people I Love

This post is going to be about two people I have never doubted love me. That sentence speaks volumes. I don't have a lot of those people in my life, I doubt and over analyze the smallest of things (more about that later). My maternal grandparents fall into the former category. My grandma's name is Carolyn and her husband, my grandfather, of 50 years is Phil. With ordinary names, they are extraordinary people.

I have known them my entire life, and I can't imagine my life without them. They are incredibly generous- to their children (3), grandchildren (7.5), great-grandchild (1), friends, church family, and strangers. They have helped so many people who experienced need, great and small. My family learns of people every now and then who mention gifts made to them that we had no inkling of. And, by looking at them and knowing them, you would not think of them to be blessed financially.

I am so proud of them, too. They got pregnant before marriage (oops, this happens often apparently!) and married soon after finding out. They lived with his parents until shortly after the birth. Neither went to college, but my grandpa worked very, very hard at a grocery store business he would someday own. He has always been smart with money, and he desperately wants his offspring to do the same. Nearly everytime I have quiet time with him, he dispenses financial advice. Not to be arrogant, but to protect me from myself at times. I know they have only wanted the absolute best for all of us, no exception. I know that is a cliche' but with them I know this to be true in my being. We feel safe at their house, and all of the family members stop by randomly throughout the week. You never know who is going to be there, but we are always welcome-friends of ours too. They are great that way.

I have the best memories growing up based around them. They had a large in-ground pool up until 4 years ago. We've had family pictures at their home multiple times, pool parties in elementary, middle and high school, and various other family functions. They took our entire family to DisneyWorld 5-6 times, all 15 of us. It's not the money aspect, it's the ability to make memories with a family I knows loves me. We actually want to spend time together, I know of few families like that. I know it is because of my grandparents. I fear this blog will not do them justice, but I hope I made an effort.

As this blog closes, I pray strongly for my grandpa who is at I.U. Med Center this evening, my grandma by his side, with a lung filled with an unknown substance. He was saved 3 years ago by a liver transplant, and I'm not ready to have him be in harm's way again. I love him, and her, so much.

1 comment:

my life: said...

What a gift God has given you, in them....You know I am praying...specifically for: peace and healing....
Thank you for sharing....